Monday, November 11, 2013

Memorial Day 2010, Part 2

I'm spending Memorial Day Weekend reminiscing about my dad's service in World War II.  Call it a blog indulgence.  Back to regular programming on Tuesday.
I have less than a dozen pictures of my dad during the time he served in the infantry.  These are from training. The most special thing about the two pictures on the left is that he wrote notes on them before he sent them home to his father. 
The note on one of them reads:
"Father, This is my picture with a full field pack.  The full field pack weighs fifty pounds, inside of it we have a blanket, tent, mess kit, under wears, toilet articles, and tent poles that fold up.  All of this gets rolled up in a tight pack, and on the outside we have a small pick, small shovel, rifle, bayonet, and belt with ammunition."
I found the real treasure on the back of the other one:
"Father, This is my picture. It was taken when we were out on maneuvers. We were sent out on a combat patrol to recognize the front of the enemy.  I was sent out ahead of the patrol, as a scout, and a few minutes later a machine gun cut loose right in front of me, and I was ruled out of the game.  When a man is ruled out, he just sits around and waits, so I decided to take some pictures while I was waiting."
I never remember my father taking photographs, but, given my passion for photography, it thrills me to learn that he decided to take pictures on that day.  It's a connection I never realized we had before.  But one that I will now treasure.

9 comments:

Julie Shoemaker said...

I'd say you're very fortunate to have even these photos. I love the notes to his father...makes me want to cry. So many things we never really know about our parents...their personal life and thoughts, especially in that era. Great tribute Rinda.

Amy said...

I agreee completely with Julie, and your family is fortunate that the photos are in the hands of someone who appreciates the stories and the legacy a photo can leave.

scrappyjacky said...

It certainly is wonderful that you have these photos,Rinda....I have a few war ones of my mum....and certainly treasure them.

Lauren said...

What a wonderful treasure you have here! Thanks for sharing it and honoring vets in your own special, personal way.

Sian said...

Not really an indulgence. Simply a good, good thing to do. Well worth it.

sharyncarlson said...

I agree with Sian - not an indulgence, but rather a very wonderful and personal way to remember Memorial Day. Thank you for sharing!

Ginger said...

he was capturing history with those photos... again, it's wonderful that you are able to share these :)

alexa said...

How special to have found something you both share :). Like him, you too know how to make the most of your time!

Miriam said...

I feel the same as Sian. Thank you for this Rinda.