Thursday, February 3, 2011

Maria Linda's Pressed Mermaid Album (altered book spread)

My local mixed media group has an ongoing altered book round robin, in which each participant creates art work in someone else's book before passing it along to the next person.  This month, I had the good fortune to work in Lisa's Secrets of the Sea book.  Lisa is an amazing artist, who incorporates fabric into her work and loves the ocean. (She also lurks on my blog, so "Hi Lisa! I hope you don't mind this spoiler.")  Inspired by Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Album, which I blogged about here and here, I created this spread entitled "Maria Linda's Pressed Mermaids." The journaling reads "I know I was supposed to use this album to press coastal wildflowers, but I found it so much more fun to sit by the tidepools and wait for mermaids (curious as they are) to alight on my album and then I would SLAM it shut and press the mermaids.  They'd escape and leave these imprints."  The tag (upper left corner) actually goes in an envelope in the back of the book and explains my inspiration.  The background uses a scraped and painted technique, and I covered the whole thing with glass bead gel for extra texture and shine.  I hope Lisa doesn't mind me spoiling her surprise too much.  If you were her, would you have preferred to be surprised? Or do you like getting a little sneak peek?

15 comments:

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

What a wonderful project. Hope you have a delightful weekend. xo tam

Amy said...

I would not worry at all if it looked as good as what this does Rinda!

scrappyjacky said...

Simply stunning,Rinda....I'm sure she won't mind a sneaky peek.

Anonymous said...

Jacky picked the right word: stunning, and I'm sure Lisa will not mind seeing a sneak peek of these beautiful pages.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Beautiful work Rinda, I'm sure she doesn't mind a peek...who does?

Sian said...

No, I wouldn't mind getting a peek at all - it would give me the pleasure of looking forward to seeing it in person. The mermaids are very, very cool.

Terry said...

Truly a fabulous project! Enjoy your weekend!

Lizzie said...

I think I would be proud to have my book shown in Rinda's lovely blog! I bet she can't wait to get her hands on that book now!! It is a lovely piece of work and I am sure you're proud of it - you certainly should be.

Heather said...

Sneak peek yes! To see it in real life will be amazing whether she sees a sneak or not iykwim! Its lovely work Rinda xx

debs14 said...

I love sneak peeks so I don't think she'll be cross at all.
Lovely pages, so in keeping with the theme.

Carola Bartz said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
These pages are amazing, I love the colors, the mermaid idea, just about everything. And yes, I do like sneak peepks!

nancy y said...

great page Rinda! I like the idea of sitting at the tidepools waiting for a mermaid. I wouldn't mind the spoiler, since in person you can see and touch all the texture!

humel said...

Oh wow, it's lovely :-) I'm in favour of sneak peeks too - I'm the type of person who will poke and prod her Christmas presents lol!

laurie said...

what a fun twist on the lady cottington book (which i am planning to dive into this weekend!) this has been a busy-crazy week but i want to let you know that i received your package and will be in touch!

Anonymous said...

I am a lucky lucky gal!!!!!! Nope, don't mind sneak peak at all!!! I am smiling from ear to ear. I love the pages you did for little ole me. Big, huge hugs!!!!!!! Lis