Thursday, December 27, 2012

Our Christmas

We had a very nice, low-key Christmas around our house.  It really began on Christmas Eve, with Paul and I finding a rainbow off our back deck:
Clara and I took the dogs for a nice long walk on the beach.
And then we came home to enjoy some champagne and Christmas crab:
Christmas Day was full of goofs. First, I realized too late that I had failed to charge my camera batteries! So, no real pictures of Christmas morning.  Later in the day, when I went to pull the turkey roast and casseroles out of the oven, I stuck the thermometer in the bird and realized it was still basically raw and the oven was cold! Someone had accidentally turned the oven off (probably when he or she had turned off a kitchen timer).  Oh well, we warmed up some chicken apple sausages and served them with mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and gravy. No matter. It was a very nice day. We watched movies and went to visit some dear friends in San Francisco.  Henry and I both got new iphones. Clara got a TV and Paul will be getting a nice area rug.  Everyone got a few small presents, too. This was the first year the children really shopped for Paul and I, and it was very nice! I received a blank art journal, an iphone case and some candy from them. Paul received a blanket/throw, socks, candy and a fancy pen. I was touched by how well they did in selecting gifts we would actually like.
On Boxing Day, we enjoyed watching some English Premiere League soccer (loved the Manchester United victory) and then Clara and I went out shopping. She bought a bunch of new things for her room, and I bought this wonderful Nativity pair. All-in-all, an enjoyable Christmas holiday for us. How was yours?

16 comments:

Kokopelli said...

Our Christmas was so relaxing. All family and all good, food, talks, gifts. :)

debs14 said...

Sounds like you had a great time, I did have to laugh about the turkey though! We had a good time, I'm now slowly eating our way through left overs!

Susanne said...

Ours was lovely as well. Bummer about the camera and turkey - but you were still with family - so all turns out well, doesn't it. And your Nativity pair is very pretty. We got snow so I haven't ventured out for the after Christmas sales, although I did place an online order or two.

Karen said...

Ours was wonderful. It was so good to have Matt here for five days. I'll have some photos to post before too long.

Anne said...

Rinda, I am so pleased Paul was with you all and what a wonderful sign of finding a rainbow on Xmas eve. It certainly will bring you luck. xxx

Irene said...

We had a wild Christmas Eve at a niece's house. We usually have it at mom's house. It was nice that someone else hosted the party. Christmas Day was spent quietly at home. Hubby had the day off so we opened gifts early. It's been cold and wet in Houston so I have not ventured out to catch any sales. ;-(

Alison said...

Love the Nativity pair.....love that you were all able to spend the time together too!
Hugs
Alison xx

Lynda said...

Sounds like a wonderful pretty laid back time. No pictures but you got gobbs of memories.

Becky said...

I am glad you had such a nice Christmas together and I love your Nativity pair. We had a lovely family day, the four of us in the morning, followed by a trip to my sister's in the afternoon.

Jimjams said...

LOL at the raw turkey - we did the opposite once and mistimed the cooker so that it was ready at breakfast time instead of starting to cook at 7am!
Glad you had a lovely calm family time. xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas despite a couple hiccups!

Missus Wookie said...

Sounds that a good time was had even with camera and turkey hassles. That nativity pair is lovely. Let my Mom take photos this year - spent the day rather determindly doing not much.

Miriam said...

I'm so happy you were all together and saw that rainbow. Ours was busy this year but we were all together, thats what mattered to me. x

Melissa said...

So glad y'all had a nice Christmas & what lovely gifts you all received! We had a great day & have enjoyed a quiet week at home after cancelling our planned road trip due to bad weather.

Denise said...

wonderful post Rinda - smiles at the raw turkey and I love your photo of Sian - Happy New Year to you all xx

Ginger said...

Christmas was wonderful and restful. I love your top ten picks and look forward to seeing more from your blog in 2013.

Happy New Year to you Rinda :)