Monday, December 3, 2012

Reflecting on a Month of Gratitude

This is the last page in my Gratitude Journal that I worked in all November.  The page features a Psalm ("I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.") and notes three things for which I am most grateful this month.  To see the other pages in my journal and to read about its overall structure, click on the "gratitude" label at the end of this post.
This is the first time I have done a gratitude journal, and I have a few random thoughts.
I used Bernice's Attitude of Gratitude challenge blog as my inspiration, and it was wonderful! As someone who hosts one major blog event a year (The Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt), I know that it is a lot of work. So, kudos and huge thanks to Bernice for presenting so much inspiration and keeping up the blog.
Bernice featured a wonderful quote on the last day of November: "You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life.  And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given to you." Sarah Ban Breathnach 
I do think that the gratitude journal has made a very tough month more bearable, and I do feel like things are turning around for us. It is interesting to think the two are connected.
Finally, I really liked using up things from my stash. It felt great to use things I have and turn them into something I love.
Did you do a gratitude project in November? Do you have any reflections from your experience to share?

14 comments:

Amy said...

I've done a couple of gratitude projects and I have always found that they are a humbling experience. Yours has been a pleasure to see develop and I'm very glad you found it to be an enriching experience.

Bernice Hopper said...

Thank you for your kind comments and your support.

Unknown said...

I am in awe at everyone who has finished, well done. I do think you are right that gratitude makes a big difference to who we are and how we perceive life.

Unknown said...

Also in awe of those who finished, I started but it is still a work in progress.

Cheri said...

Nice finish Rinda!

scrappyjacky said...

I've loved what you've done for this journal,Rinda....you've finished it beautifully....and so pleased it has 'lifted' November for you.

Linda said...

Love this! I have done a gratitude journal before and loved it!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

This is so beautiful, Rinda. I didn't do a gratitude journal myself, but I have loved reading yours and those of our other blog friends.

I completely agree that having an attitude of gratitude helps to ease the hard times. I'm glad you recognize that too. :o) xo

Andy said...

Hi Rinda, I love the idea of a Gratitude Journal. I have never heard of the concept before but I really like the page you have included. It has a great composition and thank you for sharing it with us. Andy

alexa said...

It's been lovely to be allowed to share yours, and I might be tempted one year :). I always seem to have so much else to record!

Elizabeth said...

I had good intentions to do the last week of November, but life got in the way. I do hope to next year. I admire you for sticking with it and producing a finished Gratitude Journal.

Karen said...

I finished mine yesterday and am very happy that I decided to do one--though it was an impulse at the last minute. Although I didn't use Bernice's prompts (and am not an art journalist) I did read her prompts each day and enjoyed every one of them. I've really enjoyed reading yours and several others in blogland. We do have so much to be thankful for.

Beverly said...

I don't have an art related gratitude journal but have kept gratitude journals for years, it really does change your mindset :) I love your top three especially the first one!

Missus Wookie said...

I love all of my gratitude journals - most are spiral bound reporter notebooks I keep by my bed and write/doodle in. Go through phases where it is daily, other times not. Always appreciate the thinking things through - it does change you life or at least your attitude to it.