Monday, July 1, 2013

GIT: Passport to Art

For July, I signed up for Bernice's latest FREE online class called Passport to Art. The suggested framework for the class is an altered book. I found a stitch bound book about California to use. I tore out a few pages, glued a few together, folded a few others and then made a little passport to put in one of the pockets I created. For those of you who like to glue (waving hi to my friends in the Glue it Tuesday lounge over at artsyville) and for those who like to journal, you may want to check out the class. I think it will mix well with the Find Your Voice storytelling class I'm taking as well.  
The first prompt was simply to make an introductory page using a favorite technique (click on the photo to see it in more detail; pretend not to notice the coffee stain on the carpet):
I dry brushed some titan buff acrylic paint over the inside cover of my book to tone down the bright colors and then added a tag, an art doll from my stash, a stamped image and a heritage photo. The chipboard embellishments are from Cosmo Cricket's "Art Angel" package. I used Bernice's suggested quote "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." 
Here's a close-up of the passport I made (using one of the pages I tore out of my book and embellished) and a little journal that I won in a blog give-away. I copy the quotes and prompt ideas from the class into the journal every day, so that I don't have to go back to the blog or print out the PDF's. I also jot down ideas and inspirations in there. It's a very handy supplemental tool that I learned in a Shimelle class. It also tucks in the pocket I made in the back of the book.
Anyone else doing the Passport to Art Class? Bernice is a great teacher and will lead you right through making an art journal or altered book. Although there will be 31 prompts, my book only has about 24 pages, which is fine because I know I won't be able to play everyday and there may be some prompts which don't really call to me. 

27 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

Love your layout! I am still working on pg. 1 but this looks to be an enjoyable workshop.
I am interested in your scavenger hunt as well - will give it a try.

Paper rainbow said...

Your page layout is lovely, I love the idea of a altered passport, travel is a great subject to be creative around.

Sian said...

That looks beautiful..I'm imagining the feel of the page under my fingers and enjoying it

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - thanks for sharing!
Happy GIT :)
Jana

alexa said...

Oh, I might have to follow,the link ... Tough I have way too much on my plate at the moment. Your page is full of interest and I really like the jester/ art doll figure. Your creativity must keeps expanding!

Miriam said...

This is so lovely, I really love to alter books but I have not done it like this, I'll have a look at the link thanks Rinda. You are such a great source of creativity and inspiration...

JO SOWERBY said...

I am very intrigued so will be checking this out,
Jo xxx

Karen said...

This is the second great quote of the day! Just found another on Sian's blog. This is lovely. I'm taking an art journal technique class that starts later this month, so no more new classes, but I'll be watching for your posts!

Cheri said...

This is lovely and I did check out the class when you posted it earlier. Unfortunately, I'm already overbooked for July so need to pass on this one. Your initial pages look great and I love the little notebook idea for keeping track of prompts and inspiration!

scrappyjacky said...

Love what you've done so far.

Anonymous said...

This seems to be a very interesting project, I really like, what you have done so far! Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Gabriele 8

zafira said...

love the first day I have started mine but dont know where to take it now so will go back to it when inspiration strikes. I have printed off the scavenger hunt and will have a go on my holidays
janet

Jen said...

So very creative Rinda - I have only just managed to find a book - but am going to give this class a go - even though I am a true novice with anything "altered". J x

Cheryl Gee said...

Thank you for telling us about a free online course "Passport to Art."

How did you learn about it, just curious.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Wonderful looking page! I look forward to seeing this as it grows.

Bernice Hopper said...

Thank you for joining in. Love your pages.

Linda Kunsman said...

looks like a fun project-and perfect for GIT!!

Abi said...

Oh that looks fun. I will give it a look. Fab journal Rinda. You are so creative.

Sandie said...

Love what you have done so far, Rinda. Yes, I'm taking part too. I bought a new atlas from a charity shop yesterday as the ones I had are far too big. I hoped to make a start by tearing and folding pages but the day had passed already and so I look towards tomorrow now to get started. I'm hoping I will catch up. I am at a residential this weekend so 48 hrs crafting if I don't count eat and sleeping time!
I look forward to doing this course with you, and agree, Bernice plans her tutorials really well and I love journey as a metaphor.

Deborah Weber said...

How fun. You're a great art chair traveler. ;-)

storybeader said...

sounds like a fun class. You've come up with some great ideas - love the passport in its own pocket! I'll have to go by and see what's happening with Bernice, but I know I won't have time for the class... now. {:-Deb

Unknown said...

That class looks fun. It is just a shame I don't have the time for it at the moment.

A'n'G Johnson said...

ooooh what an awesome class. and your responses to the prompts are incredible!

Jo Murray said...

You've really thrown yourself into this one. Great work Rinda.

Unknown said...

I love the idea of the passport to write down the quotes etc. I don't have a book yet but will probably be doing this next month after my hols anyway.

Anonymous said...

Your page and passport look great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the next assignment.

Susanne said...

That looks like fun. And I'm glad you found a use for the little notebook!