Friday, July 26, 2013

Let's Have a Drink Down in the Harbor

Once a month, Abi over at Creating Paper Dreams invites people to stop by for a cup of tea and a chat. I thought you could join me for a drink down in the Harbor.  There's lots to see before we sit down and chat, including wildlife.
And there's some really interesting things to photograph:
We'll probably even be able to find a fisherman for the 2013 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt:
After our little stroll, we can sit down at either Barbara's Fish Trap or Ketch Joanne and have something warm to drink while we catch up.
I'd start by telling you that we've decided to move Clara back to our local high school. Last year, after a series of very unfortunate events, we moved her to a different school which was exactly what she needed at that time. I truly don't know if we would have survived last year without that alternative.  But things are different now, and she's wanting to return to her home school. And we've all come to decide that it's probably the right thing.  She wants to run cross country and has made some really good friends this summer with a terrific group of kids who run at our local school. And, she's become very motivated to improve her grades so she can go to college and study animal behavior. That interest has been an outgrowth of her volunteer work at the humane society. Our local high school has an agricultural education track which would feed that interest and put her in with another nice group of kids.  She's worked very hard to get her life back on track, and we think she deserves to be rewarded by going to school where she wants - especially because she has developed such a good plan to succeed. So, now it's on me to get all the paperwork straightened out. 
I'd also tell you that Henry is getting ready to make the leap to college. He's all set to go off to the University of Oregon mid-September. In the mean time, he's having a great time with his friends. They're going to concerts, hanging out having house parties and basically enjoying their last summer together. He's decided to try out for the Club-level  University soccer team, so he's back to training.  As the time for breaking away gets closer, he seems interested in spending time with me again, and I am enjoying every opportunity to go to a baseball game with him or watch him play soccer.
If you were to say that I look different, I would tell you that I got some new glasses, which are much more modern looking than my old ones and that I'm wearing my hair a little longer and looser these days. I'd also tell you that I'm just feeling so much more relaxed these days. Since my summer classes ended, I'm enjoying spending a week or two with no commitments other than going to the gym and doing laundry. And, yes, the fact that Paul's health is holding steady also makes me breathe easier and look more relaxed. 
I enjoyed binge-watching a television show called "Hart of Dixie" on netflix and would ask you if you had any good netflix recommendations. I'd admit to watching the new summer television series "Under the Dome" and a few other guilty pleasures like "So You Think You Can Dance," "The Glades," "Project Runway," "Necessary Roughness," and "Longmire." I haven't picked up a book in several weeks!
I would tell you that, creatively, I've really been enjoying online classes, especially one where I'm making an altered book about traveling. And I'm being challenged by one about story telling. I would tell you that I'm mulling the idea about writing a memoir about the last year in my life but that I'm not really sure I'm up to it. And that's okay. 
Finally, I would tell you that I'm really excited about the 2013 Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt that I'm hosting and that I'm going to be asking everyone to check in mid-week and join a linky party. I'd ask you if you plan to join in? (And I'd secretly hope that you would say yes).
And then I'd ask what you have been up to . . . 


22 comments:

Jo.C said...

Now that seems like a plan as I need to find a fisherman. I would talk about mine and how difficult it can be to parent teens but the positives are also fantastic. I will get organised and join in next week as have a fair few to share. See you then x

Unknown said...

It sounds like you have had a lovely summer. Discussions of school in this house have been exhausting. I have one who has to decided on his subjects for next year, a decision which decides his future. He wants to attempt the direct University pathway but his grades just aren't there and I am afraid he will burn out trying to pass. I would like him to do the alternative pathway which would require an extra bridging year before University entrance but he has the potential to score much better grades and not run himself into the ground. Both lead to the same course but he is insisting that he won't take the second option even though it is being recommended by the school. Such a difficult time in their lives :( But I am sure it will work itself out over the next month. I shall see you mid week for another hunt roundup.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I think we'd have a lot to share on the challenge of raising teens! Our education system is a little different to yours, but there are changes facing my two from September too. I'm trying to catch up on the last series of Luther, before it disappears from the iplayer on Tuesday. I'd highly recommend, if it's available to view in the US, although it's not for the faint hearted at times! The excellent Idris Elba stars, supported by a stellar cast.

scrappyjacky said...

I agree about Luther....do try and get hold of it.....and start with Series I if possible....it's dark....but brilliant.
So pleased to hear about how Clara has grown and developed this year....hope you are able to get her back into your local school.
The harbour sounds a lovely place to hang out.

Abi said...

Such wonderful news about Clara, your husband and how excited Henry is about College. Seems like life is deservedly on the up Rinda. That harbour looks very sweet. I like the photo of the coil of rope.

What day were you planning on your link up party? I am away next week but would love to schedule a post and join in.

Thanks for joining me for tea this month.

Lesley G said...

Good luck to Clara and Henry and I will be joining in the linky party at the end of the month :)

debs14 said...

I am pleased to hear that things are definitely on the 'up' for you all. The teenage years are hard but you seem to be getting through!
I agree with the recommendations of Luther, if you can get it over there, do try it.

Ginger said...

I don't watch netflix but I love Longmire :) I will admit, my reading has dwindled this year! Oh well, I'm much more interested in our summer weather than curling up to a good read right now.

It's nice to hear things are going well with Clara, Paul and Henry.

I will link up to the scavenger hunt next week!

Carola Bartz said...

High school can be a real challenge, and I am glad that Clara has found her way now. Sometimes it is just difficult to find the right fit. I wish her good luck with her new old school and on the cross country team. My daughter is thinking of doing cross country again - she didn't do it last year, but during middle school. It seems that x country kids are nice kids. I am also glad that Paul's health is steady and gives you room to breathe. And good luck to Henry for college.

We don't watch any TV here (except there is the Olympics or World Cup or Downton Abbey), only DVDs (or Netflix) and have been in a real Lord of the Rings phase. If you want a recommendation for a good read, I just finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows and LOVED it.

Yes, I will link up for the 2013
Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt!

Enjoy your weekend! ~Carola

Amy said...

It's exciting that Clara has some goals to work towards and I think your new glasses look wonderful! You are looking more relaxed, and so you should be, last year was tough on so many levels ... if you want to talk about it some more, we're here - but take your time with that, I am sure there are so many pieces to the story that need time to percolate.

Last night we started to watch Game of Thrones, late to the party I know, but I think it's going to be good!

Karen said...

Good for Clara! You must be so proud of her. It's not easy being an adolescent, and making those kind of changes is especially difficult.

I don't watch any TV except the news, but I'm getting a lot more reading done this summer. I've enjoyed The Art Forger, You Before Me, and now Transatlantic.

Still spending lots of time at the hospital, but our friend has made remarkable progress this week.

Ladkyis said...

I am so glad that I don't have teenagers these days. Their whole lives seem to be mapped out for them, not like when mine were that age.
I am so pleased that Clara is getting through such an anxious time, and that you are looking so much more relaxed - new glasses are always good! I'll be at the linky party see you then

Miriam said...

What a gorgeous place to have tea with you, sorry that I just couldn't stop taking photo's! I am so happy that Clara can return to the school of her choice. Despite your year you sound so positive and happy and so proud of your children, your positivity is infectious. I like your new glasses, and wearing your hair longer is so pretty.

Becky said...

Pleased things are working out with Clara and I know exactly what you mean about Henry wanting to spend more time with you before he leaves - Ben was exactly the same. Looking forward to linking up on Wednesday :)

Linda said...

Love these little snippets into your life, and really interesting to read everyone elses comments. Glad your daughter is doing so well, and good luck to your son for university. Love seeing your harbour, can't wait to see birds and wildlife like that irl in September when we visit California:)

sky-blu-pink said...

Lots of positive news! Good luck to Henry, and I hope next year will be a great one for Clara at school. Fantastic that Paul's health is stable. Wonderful watery pictures, reminds me of home, south Coast of England.

Unknown said...

Love the photos of the harbour and so glad to hear that Clara is doing well at school. Hope Henry gets on well next year. My oldest is getting ready to go back to Uni for his second year. The time flies in.

Flora said...

Love the repurposed Halloween bucket.

Missus Wookie said...

We'd sit and chat about getting people ready to head off to College/Uni and difficult times. So glad to hear decisions have been made and goals have been set. Enjoy your summer break and yep I'll be there on Wednesday!

boysmum2 said...

What a gorgeous place to have a catch up with a drink, so cute and decorative. Thanks for sharing

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hey Rinda ~ I'm playing catch-up this afternoon and finally made it around to reading this post. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well for Clara, and I'm wondering if classes have started back for her yet. Hopefully all is going well and it sounds like she has positioned herself for success so that is awesome!

And I was wondering when Henry would be heading off to university. Super glad to hear that he is including you in activities and helping to build some new memories to hold on to once he finally takes that leap.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear things are going well for Clara and that Henry is taking some time to spend it with you plus the bonus - Paul's health. Sorry I missed the update last month but I'm looking forward to sharing my updates later this month. Yikes it's less than a month to go now - I better get busy on those everyday ones I've been putting off. :)