Tuesday, June 3, 2014

ZIZO #23: Devil's Slide Trail

On Sunday afternoon, Clara and I went for a walk on the Devil's Slide Coastal Trail. I thought it was a good opportunity to take my zoom in zoom out photos for this week. The first ZIZO gives you an idea of what makes this trail so special:
It used to be a highway which went right along the Coast. A very steep and windy bit of highway. It came with spectacular views.
But it was also prone to closures due to rock slides and sink holes. Which was how this stretch of road got its nickname "Devil's Slide." So, the road was replaced with a pair of tunnels through the mountain.
By walking, instead of driving this stretch (it's on the way to my work), I was able to capture some wonderful sites. Beautiful plants . . . 
A touching road-side memorial:
And, also a final ZIZO pairing. Can you figure out what it it is from the zoom in?
I hope you enjoyed this walk along the Devil's Slide Trail. For other ZIZO pairings, check out Helena's blog here.

18 comments:

BJ said...

Well I just HAD to look up what a ZIZO was and then HAD to look at all the links too. So you walked through the tunnels then! GOSH! What's the extra lane for in the 3rd picture? This road sounds/looks mighty like our railway line down in Devon which was decimated in the storms last Winter. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26042990

Amy said...

Love a dramatic coastal road - looks like you had a great day for it too :)

PS Sunrise here at the moment is just before 7.30am.

Susi said...

ZIZO-neat idea! Love the views from the trail.

Karen said...

You live in such a spectacular place! I loved getting to see it when Sarah lived in California, and hope some day we'll have reason to return to the west coast. I never tire of looking at these wonderful views!

Sian said...

Wow, a bike lane? That would be some place to cycle!

Sandie said...

What an amazing journey to work - I am envious and wish my commute to work was like that.
I love how you add extra fun by trying to match the ZIZO.

alexa said...

What a splendid route that must be - how on earth do you manage to keep your eyes on the road on the way to work? Such a neat ZIZO :).

helena said...

amazing views of the coast and the route

Lesley G said...

Looks like an amazing road!

Anonymous said...

wow- to be able to walk that road! I love the views in the fourth and fifth photos!!!!!
Cute ZIZO too!

Missus Wookie said...

Oh that is a stunning set of views, do you get used to them if you drive that way to work?

Miriam said...

What a fabulous set of pictures Rinda, I love your ZIZO so much!

Becky said...

Wonderful photos, some stunning views :)

Melissa said...

Looks like you have a great photography walk on a beautiful day! Nice ZIZO photos!

orchid0324 said...

Great Views of the coastal road; enjoyed the different atmosphere from ours(^_^)v

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Awesome ZIZO!

Jimjams said...

WOW what an interesting post - thanks for letting me walk with you :-)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots of it Rinda. I bet we were on that highway when you still could drive on it when we drove down the coast from San Francisco to L.A. I remember one stretch John saying he was beginning to feel ill what with all the curves in it.