Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Snap! Artists at Work

Last Thursday, I posted some photos from a recent trip to tour the murals in San Francisco's Mission District. For today's Snap!, I'm posting four photos that form a photo essay about the artists working on the murals. We noticed some artists at work in one of the alleys, and my friend Lane suggested we go talk to them. I asked one of them if I could take his picture. He said sure. Then turned around and said, "Professor Ontiveros, is that you?" It turns out he's one of my former students! Lane snapped this photo of us:
Needless to say, I was totally surprised! It took me a while to recognize him because he was out of place, know what I mean? Anyway, it was interesting to talk with him about his art. He's been painting street murals since he was a kid and on this beautiful sunny day, he just decided that he couldn't stay in the library anymore and decided to head to the alleys to paint. He met the alley owner several years ago when they did a mural painting benefit fundraiser to fight cancer. The alley owner invited him to return anytime he wanted.  My favorite photo in my collage is the paint kit (which includes, uh, liquid refreshment!). My friend Lane who toured the murals with me is also quite a photographer. He took this great portrait of another one of the artists:
Lane had the advantage of carrying his big camera, while I was shooting with my iphone. But I am still happy with my Snap! (a group of four photos that tell a story). For other Snap! groupings, check out Helena's blog.

12 comments:

helena said...

I love it - great photo story and the added twist that he is a student - always fun when you hear that 'is it you Professor?' when you are not on campus

Barbara said...

Good set of photos, what a surprise to meet one of your former students.

scrappyjacky said...

This reminds me of the day we spent with you in San Francisco...we all loved the murals....such a lovely day.

Karen said...

Great photos and a fun story, too.

Melissa said...

Wonderful snaps and such a FUN story to go along with it!

Alison said...

Great photos ...and great that you caught up with one of your former students! Xx

Sian said...

Great story! And I love the idea of a mural painting benefit

Patio Postcards said...

A very crafty Snap collection. How delightful that you knew one of the artists.

Missus Wookie said...

I always like seeing street art - so interesting to see it being created too. Nice to see you with a student too :)

Cheri said...

How FUN to catch one of your students in creative mode!

Anonymous said...

Great story...and a great personal touch! Looks like it will be quite the mural!

Susanne said...

What fabulous snapshots. And yes I do know what you mean by not recognizing people in places you are not used to seeing them.